2018 LD Caucus - OFFICIAL CALL TO MEETING
The 18th LD Democratic Central Committee will meet on March 24 at 10:00 am, to begin the process of choosing Legislative District Delegates to the Washington State Democrats June 16 State Convention in Wenatchee.
In 2016, the State Party held Precinct Caucuses as the first step in its biennial convention cycle. In this non-Presidential year, the State Party will hold stand-alone Legislative District Caucuses and joint Legislative District Caucuses/County Conventions on March 24. In total, 49 Legislative Districts and 35 Counties will meet in March while Clark, King, Pierce, Thurston, Kitsap, and Snohomish Counties will host their seperate County Conventions on April 22.
WHAT: 18th Legislative District Caucus
DATE: Saturday, March 24, 2018
TIME: 10 am (Doors open at 10 am, credentialing/sign-in closes promptly at 10:45, and caucus business will begin at 11 am)
WHERE: Cascade Middle School (13900 NE 18th St, Vancouver, WA 98684)
PARKING: Parking is available at Cascade Middle School as well as Evergreen High School.
- Purpose of the caucus:
- To elect 7 delegates and 4 alternates to attend the 2018 State Convention. Delegates will be the voting body of the convention and vote on final passage of proposed platform and resolutions.
- Adopt the 2018 18th LD Platform (read the proposed 2018 Platform here).
- Consider any proposed resolutions to be submitted to the State Convention.
- Those interested in being elected as a Delegate or Alternate may indicate their willingness to do so at the time of sign in.
- All newly elected delegates and alternates need to fill out the Delegate or Alternate Contact Information form before they leave the caucus and pick up a Certificate of Election.
- The estimated cost (travel, room, and board) to attend the State Convention as a delegate is $200-400.
- Elected delegates and alternates will receive communications from the State Party on how and when to register for the State Convention in Wenatchee, including how to pay the $50 State Convention Registration Fee.
- To vote at the 18th Legislative District Caucus an individual must be a resident, registered voter in the 18th Legislative District and affirm that they are a Democrat by signing on the registration sheet, and agree to public record of their attendance at the meeting.
- Registered voters include all currently registered voters and any 17 year old who will be eligible to vote on or before November 6, 2018. Registered voters also include any eligible individual who completes a voter registration form while signing in to attend the 18th Legislative District Democratic Caucus.
- Individuals who are not qualified to register to vote because of residence, citizenship, or age shall be allowed to participate in the platform discussion, but may not vote on rules, matters of order, resolutions or for the election of delegates or alternates, nor may they be elected as delegates or alternates.
For a full list of Caucus/Convention locations or to Pre-Register, please go to:
We want our caucuses and conventions to be inclusive and accessible. To request disability accommodations if needed, please contact your local Legislative District leadership (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For those interested, more detailed information about the caucus and convention cycle can be found in the 2018 Washington State Delegate Selection and Affirmative Action Plan.
We hope to see you there!
Note: Those that reside in sections of the 20th and 14th LDs contained within Clark County may meet with the 18th LD and will break off into their respective sub-caucuses to elect their delegates to the State Convention (1 each).
Ian Coker, Chair
18th Legislative District Democrats
13900 NE 18th St
Vancouver, WA 98684
Google map and directions